It seems to be the way we live today- asking Siri or turning to YouTube for instructions on how to solve everything from how to win at Poker to how to fix plumbing. We have created quite a few videos to support the Do-It-Yourself people out there, but it’s important to know when to call a plumbing repair service.
Do It Yourself Plumbing
DIY Plumbing can include items that don’t require a license in order to make the repairs. These are tasks you can do or can feel comfortable asking your favorite handyman or even helpful neighbor. Follow the links for helpful videos:
- Unplugging a clogged tub: Tubs can easily clog with hair, and chemical drain clearing products are mostly ineffective, caustic and dangerous. Instead, try this technique to get those clogs out. During your annual sewer line cleaning, ask for them to run any additional drains, such as a tub or sink that seem to clog easily. There is usually a discount and it makes certain the entire length of the line is clear.
- Flushing a water heater: Sometimes a water heater needs to be flushed to remove sediment that is keeping it from working properly. Flushing it will extend the life of the water heater in these cases. Please note that flushing a water heater is best done by a plumbing repair service when there is any chance of flooding a lower level or a finished space.
- Clearing a P-trap: Sinks can also clog easily, or very frequently, we can lose objects such as earrings, rings, or even toothpaste caps. Clearing the p-trap can help you resolve the matter, and hopefully save the run-away object.
- Shutting off your main water supply: In the case of a major leak, it is critical to turn off your water right away to prevent flooding and water waste. If you go out of town and experience a pipe bursting, it is important that anyone watching your home know how to turn it off as well.
- Relighting your pilot light: Cold showers are awful! Be sure to know how to check your water heater’s pilot light and be able to relight it. If it continues to not stay lit, a call to a plumbing repair service is in order to see what is causing the problem and how to fix it.
- Resetting your garbage disposal: Sometimes when a garbage disposal stops working, it just needs to be reset. Follow these instructions to reset your garbage disposal. If this doesn’t work, call a professional plumber for them to further assess the problem.
Calling a Plumbing Repair Service
Plumbing Repair Service should always be called in the case of emergencies, flooding, main sewer line back-ups or installation of products that can lead to water damage if installed by someone other than a professional plumber. This could include: faucets, new installations, ice makers, hose bibs and more.
Not sure if you can handle it on your own? Give us a call and we are happy to answer your questions!