How to Check the Water Meter for a Water Leak
Plumbing Service How-To Videos
If you have ever wondered why your water bill is so high and you don’t seem to be using a lot of water, a good way to determine if there is a leak is to look your water meter. Most people have a water meter pit out by their front sidewalk. Some people have a water meter inside their house too.
Follow these steps to check a water meter:
- Turn the nut to remove the lid (for an outdoor water meter pit)
- Turn off all the appliances that use water in your house first, then wait 30 minutes and check your water meter
- Look at the dial on the water meter. It shows how many gallons you’ve used (which is how you get your bill)
- If you see the meter moving and everything is shut off, there is possibly a leak
- If you think you may have a leak, mark the dial where it’s at, wait 30 minutes, and if it mas moved while all appliances that use water are off, you most likely have a leak
If you believe you have a water leak, it’s time to call Garvin’s for assistance.